Oh my goodness the past few weeks has been really busy. Between traveling for a family wedding, traveling for work, and trying to just stay on top of life. It feels like it’s been a whirlwind and I finally have a moment to catch up on everything that’s happened. I wanted to take a minute to share a little about about staying on track with eating and exercise while you traveling. I hear so many excuses about how sticking with a plan/program while traveling is too hard and honestly that is only an excuse. I mean I get get it, traveling is stressful, unpredictable, and tiring. So when people tell me the last thing they want to worry about is working out or worrying about sticking to a meal plan, I understand. It’s hard for everyone, but if you do a little prep work prior to your trip or even while your en route, you can totally make it work. Here are the things I do to help stay on track as much as possible while I travel. (Also quick note – I usually follow an 80/20 rule because I am a bit of a perfectionist and will beat myself up if stray from my plan at all. This means for me, building in a little flexibility into my plan prevents me from over stressing.)
- Research the restaurants and grocery stores in the area to find where you can get meals/snacks that fall within your diet/meal plan
- Ask if there will be meals/snacks provided and what they will be this way you can be prepared beforehand by eating or by bringing something with you.
- Find out if there is a gym or a space nearby that you can get your workout in or determine if you are in an area that you won’t need a rental car and can walk
- Keep some of your favorite portable snacks with you just in case you get stuck somewhere
- Have fun with it, do your best, and try new things.
At the end of the day, if you get off track or can’t get a workout in it’s not the end of the world. Do better with the next meal or workout and don’t let one slip up give you to go ahead do go rogue for the rest of the trip. Just own it get over it and move on. Every day is an opportunity to do your best!
Here are a few pics of some food and fun from my latest trips!